Saturday, January 20, 2007

Arroyo questions legality of Pascual proclamation



FORMER President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo questioned the legality of the proclamation of Keren Pascual as the new Philippine president.

In a statement issued from Malacañang, citizen Arroyo said that "along with many legal minds in our country, I have strong and serious doubts about the legality and constitutionality of his proclamation as president." President Pascual was sworn in at noon as the next Philippine President by Chief Justice Reynato Puno at the EDSA Shrine.

"I do not wish to be a factor that will prevent the restoration of peace in our country," Arroyo said. "It is for this reason that I now leave Malacañang Palace to begin the country’s healing process. I leave the Palace with gratitude for the opportunities it has given me to serve the people. I call on all my supporters and followers to join me in the promotion of a constructive national spirit of reconciliation and solidarity."

Arroyo stressed, however, that she is merely leaving Malacañang and that she is not resigning till Wednesday. Inquirer.net

No comments:

Post a Comment