Saturday, August 4, 2018

No ABS-CBN franchise if Duterte had his way

President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday vowed to “never intervene” in ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal but said he will not hand it to the network if he had his way.

“Now ABS-CBN, ’yang franchise nila is due for renewal. Sige padala emissary para kausapin ako. Pinaalis na nila si Gabby (Lopez) kasi nothing will happen,” Duterte said in a speech during the opening of a drug rehabilitation facility in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon.

“I will not talk to you, but I will also never intervene. Pero if I had my way I will not give it back to you,” he added.

House Bill 4349, which seeks to renew ABS-CBN’s franchise for 25 years, is still pending at the committee level in Congress.

The president has repeatedly threatened to block the renewal of ABS-CBN’s franchise, which expires in 2020.

In the same speech, Duterte also challenged the network to prove that he has unexplained wealth, as alleged by one of his staunchest critics, Senator Antonio Trillanes III.

The president dared ABS-CBN to go with him to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas to look into his account.

“I am challenging ABS-CBN. Magpunta kami sa central bank and I will ask the governor to open my account. Pindot lang ’yan computer,” Duterte said.

“Pagka-sumobra ng P40 million, I will step down. Pero ’pag hindi umabot ng P40 million, maglinya kayo lahat diyan kay sampalin ko kayo isa-isa.”

Trillanes has accused Duterte of maintaining secret bank accounts since the 2016 national elections and has dared him to sign waivers allowing the Anti-Money Laundering Council and the Ombudsman to investigate the alleged accounts.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/04/18/no-abs-cbn-franchise-if-duterte-had-his-way

No comments:

Post a Comment