Monday, February 5, 2018

Estrada seeking reelection next year, denies Jinggoy after his post

MANILA Mayor Joseph E. Estrada laughed off rumors that his son, former Sen. Jinggoy Estrada, will be gunning for his position as chief executive of the country’s capital come next year’s polls.

The young Estrada has been frequently seen visiting the Manila City Hall, thus, fueling speculation that his father is planning to retire soon and put him in his stead for the mayoralty seat.

Ako pa rin ang tatakbo sa 2019 elections [I will still run in 2019 elections],” the local chief executive said in a meeting with some barangay captains at his office in the city hall.

“Nobody can change my inspiration, no one can divert me on my mission, on my dream in Manila. I had already laid down my program of government to regain the lost pride and glory of Manila. I will fulfill my promises and with your help, with the support of the people of Manila, I know, we will win on my third run,” he noted.

Estrada stressed that rumors about his poor health are a mere ploy of his opponents in politics.

“That is an old issue… . No one believes that my health hinders the effective fulfillment of my honest service to you and the masses,” he said.

“I will not renege on my promise…. With the help of God, with the trust given to me by our people, we can make Manila a great city again,… If we’re together, if we remain united, we can make Manila a ‘first class city,’” he added.

The city mayor told barangay captains why addressing the problem of peace and order became one of his top priorities during his first term in 2013.

“We all know, we cannot achieve progress without peace and order. It will be hard for a town, city, province or nation without peace and order,” he explained.

Estrada pointed that because of the various programs and projects he initiated in Manila, the impossible dream to bringing back its old glory is “now at hand.”

“I am very happy to say that we are now seeing a new dawn, a new ray of hope for all ManileƱos. Little by little, I am seeing a ray of light in all I’ve started and now we are bringing back Manila’s former luster; we are seeing the rise in the living condition of ManileƱos,” he claimed.

Likewise, Estrada boasted his achievements in his six years in office, such as a better housing program for Manila’s informal settlers; more job opportunities and livelihood programs; accessible medical assistance to the poor and the anti-AIDS/HIV and tuberculosis services; improved education services at all levels, with emphasis on bringing quality education to the poor; and “arms of steel” against criminality.

He also cited his success in providing protection, safety and well-being for the youth, women and the senior citizens; massive cleanup project to make Manila Green; programs on correct ways of garbage disposal; renovation and modernization of public markets; seaports and tourist spots; anticorruption campaign and strict collection of correct taxes and transparency in governance; as well as Emergency Res­ponse Action Program in times of disaster and calamities.

While these projects continue to benefit his constituents, the mayor admitted that these are not enough to totally bring back the former glory of Manila.

“We should not stop…. I must confess, I cannot cover all these tasks of bringing back the old glory of Manila. But, I do know one thing: with your support, with your cooperation, if we are united to achieving this goal, we can make Manila a ‘first class city’ once again,” Estrada said. “I can’t do it on my own: I need the help of the people and the different sectors in out city.”

No comments:

Post a Comment