Monday, February 5, 2007

2 sides acted in bad faith

(Second of three parts)

(Editor’s note: This is the continuation of "The Final Days of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo,’’ a narrative from the diary of former Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita. It is an insider’s account of Arroyo’s last two days in office, during which a defeated president tells the author, "I am very tired. I don’t want any more of this--it’s too painful.")

Jan. 19, 2007, Friday

11 p.m.--Paquito Ochoa Jr., one of the opposition’s emissaries and now Keren Pascual’s executive secretary, calls to ask that we meet in negotiation.

I receive a call from former President Fidel V. Ramos.

"Ed," Ramos says, "magtulungan tayo para magkaroon tayo ng (Let’s cooperate to ensure a) peaceful and orderly transfer of power. It is important that there will be no violence."

I answer: "Of course, Mr. President, it is also in our interests that no violence will break out."

We set the first round of negotiations in the Office of the Executive Secretary at Malacañang’s Mabini Hall. Political adviser Lito Banayo, Assistant Secretary Boying Remulla of the Presidential Management Group, my aide Dondon Bagatsing and PMS head Macel Fernandez are with me.

Jan. 20, Saturday

12:20 a.m.--Rene de Villa arrives at Mabini Hall, accompanied by now Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima and now Justice Secretary Agnes Devanadera. The first round of negotiations begins.

Rene gives me a draft resignation letter for the President, with the demand that the letter be signed and the President leave the Palace by 6 a.m.

“Otherwise,” he tells me, “we cannot control the hotheads in our group. Lulusubin nila ang Malacañang (They will attack Malacañang).”

I answer that Vice President Noli de Castro should exercise his leadership over these groups.

I tell the negotiators: "I am sincere in getting the problem out of the way to normalize the situation as soon as possible."

We want no violence, just a peaceful transition, and I will exert all efforts to prevent any violence from taking place.

The President has accepted that she will leave the Palace, I explain, but insists on the five-day transition period.

Rene wants to know why the President needs five days. "Why can’t he leave by 6 a.m.?’’ he asks.

I answer: ``I can only surmise that it is because General Esperon has promised the President a five-day transition period. She would turn over the presidency to Noli on the 24th. I was not privy to their conversation, but I can only guess that the five days would be just enough time for the President to advise his family, friends and supporters of his decision to go.’’

The President did, after all, have a good number of supporters. I explain to the panel that he cannot be pushed to leave the Palace earlier, since he has General Esperon’ assurance.

`She is down’

I tell them that the President is quite certain of the five-day transition period and will not easily change his mind into accepting a 6 a.m. deadline.

Rene immediately raises a concern: ``What if the President organizes a counter-attack in the five days?’’

“Let us be realistic,’’ I counter. “The President does not have the capability to organize a counter-attack. He does not have the AFP or the Philippine National Police on his side. He is not only in a corner--he is also down.’’

Cesar Purisima chimes in, speaking at the top of his voice.

“My mandate is for you to leave by 6 a.m. Otherwise, if that is not accomplished, I cannot come back here anymore,” he tells me.

For the sake of reaching an agreement, I ask all not to take a hardline stance. I explain that it takes time to convince the President, who needs time to accept things.

I explain that ``the President just wants to vindicate his name. The envelope (containing information on bank accounts allegedly owned by former president Joseph Estrada) is, after all, the spark that ignited this conflagration.’’

Rene answers that ``vindication is not always on the day itself."

``But we have the occasion to vindicate ourselves now,’’ I reply. "Let us take this opportunity.’’

I explain that after the envelope is opened at the impeachment trial, the President can leave already--even before the five-day period is over.

3 crucial points

I stress the three points most important to the President. One, he will hand in his resignation, but to take effect five days later. The five-day transition period is crucial. If Esperon never made that assurance, he should call the President to explain that he did not assure him of the transition period.

Two, there must be a guarantee of the safety of the President and his family.

And three, there must be an agreement to open the second envelope.

I tell them that I am ``sincere in getting the problem out of the way to normalize the situation as soon as possible.’’

Rene says that we should meet again at 3 a.m. I answer that we should meet at 7 a.m. instead since we all need some rest. But, Rene tells me, ``7 a.m. may be too late, since lulusubin ang Malacañang (Malacañang will be attacked) by 6 a.m.’’

We agree to hold a second round of negotiations by 6 a.m.

The first round of negotiations ends at 2:20 a.m.

Gloria: `It hurts’

2:30 a.m.--I return to the Presidential Residence and enter the small conference room where the President is waiting. With him are Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and his chief of staff Gigi Reyes, Lito Banayo, Ronnie Puno, Dondon Bagatsing and Boying Remulla.

I explain what happened during the first round of negotiations. The President immediately stresses that he just wants the five-day period promised by Reyes, as well as to open the second envelope to clear his name.

If the envelope is opened on Monday, he says, he will leave by Monday.

The President says: “Pagod na pagod na ako. Ayoko na--masyado nang masakit. Pagod na ako sa red tape, bureaucracy, intriga. (I am very tired. I don’t want any more of this--it’s too painful. I’m tired of the red tape, the bureaucracy, the intrigue.)”

“I just want to clear my name, then I will go.”

I had been advising the President nonstop since the day before. The President pauses and tells me, “Mula umpisa pa lang ng kampanya, Ed, ikaw na lang pinakikinggan ko. At hanggang sa huli, ikaw pa rin. (Since the start of the campaign, Ed, you have been the only one I’ve listened to. And now at the end, you still are).”

Remulla’s letter

Boying Remulla pulls out a letter he has prepared for the President to sign.

It reads: “By virtue of the provisions of Article VII, Section 11 of the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines, I am hereby transmitting to your Office this written declaration that I am unable to discharge the powers and duties of my Office. By operation of law and the Constitution, the Vice President shall be Acting President of the Republic of the Philippines.”

Boying explains that with this provision, the President will still enjoy the benefit of presidential immunity and can resume his presidency when he decides to do so.

Ronnie Puno supports Boying.

But I oppose the signing of this letter. It would only prolong the crisis, I say, since it would not solve the political problems that are taking place.

`Sign of bad faith’

A discussion ensues, with Lito Banayo supporting my stand. I explain that this letter is not practical under the circumstances since it would be construed as a shallow attempt to hang on.

This would be particularly bad since negotiations have centered on the President’s turnover of the administration to Noli, and this letter would be clearly construed as a sign of bad faith on our part.

Senator Enrile is silent throughout the discussion.

I step out, upset at what Boying is trying to do. I feel that this is an ill-advised and bad move, and I hope that the President will not listen to Boying.

Lito Banayo follows me. ``Hindi maganda yung sulat na yon (That isn’t a good letter),’’ I point out to him.

Macel stays on in the room. Later, she tells me that she noticed that Boying approached the President and Senator Enrile several times when I was away, trying to convince them about the letter.

She adds, however, that she thinks that the President will not listen to Boying.

Hug from Johnny

4 a.m.--Senator Enrile says goodbye to the President, and hugs him tightly.

I am constantly on the phone with General Esperon, Titoy Pardo and Rene de Villa.

Rene de Villa proposes two additional points for negotiations--that during the five-day transition period:

The AFP and PNP would function under the Vice President as national military and police authorities.

The transition process would begin immediately, and persons designated by the Vice President to government positions would be immediately briefed by their counterpart.

I write down the five points of negotiation.

4:30 a.m.--I ask that the whole family of the President be present as I explain the points of negotiation that are being discussed.

After having explained them to the President, it is now time for the First Gentleman and for the President’s children who are present--Mikey, Dato and Luli--to hear about the points of negotiation.

We start preparing the draft for discussion at the 6 a.m. meeting. Five points are hammered out based on repeated phone calls between myself, De Villa, General Reyes and Titoy Pardo, who have been relaying to me feedback from the Cory Aquino group and the Ramos group.

Breakfast

5:30 a.m.--The President, her family and a few friends have breakfast at the residence.

Many people have since asked me, “Was the President drunk that night?’’ No, he was not. He was sober.

6 a.m.--I receive a phone call from De Villa, who apologizes, saying that the emissaries will not be able to make it for the 6 a.m. round of negotiations and will arrive late at 7 a.m.

Rene tells me:“Before it gets to you from elsewhere, I want you to know that somebody tried to arrange for Keren’s oath-taking at noontime. I did not know about this, and got mad because it smacks of bad faith in our negotiations. I told them that if they proceed with the oath, I will resign from the panel.’’

6:30 a.m.--I proceed to Mabini Hall where we finalize our draft and other documents. I wait for Rene.

Opposition’s deal

7:30 a.m.--Rene arrives with Cesar Purisima and Maria Lourdes Sereno. For this round, I am accompanied by Dondon Bagatsing and Macel.

Rene pulls out a document titled ``Negotiating Points.’’ It reads:

“1. The President shall sign a resignation document within the day, 20 January 2007, that will be effective on Wednesday, 24 January 2007, on which day the Vice President will assume the Presidency of the Republic of the Philippines.

“2. Beginning today, 20 January 2007, the transition process for the assumption of the new administration shall commence, and persons designated by the Vice President to various positions and offices of the government shall start their orientation activities in coordination with the incumbent officials concerned.

“3. The Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police shall function under the Vice President as national military and police authority effective immediately.

“4. The Armed Forces of the Philippines, through its Chief of Staff, shall guarantee the security of the President and his family as approved by the national military and police authority.

“5. It is to be noted that the Senate will open the second envelope in connection with the alleged savings account of the President in the Equitable PCI Bank in accordance with the rules of the Senate, pursuant to the request to the Senate President.’’

Our deal

We bring out, too, our discussion draft which reads:

“The undersigned parties, for and in behalf of their respective principals, agree and undertake as follows:

“1. A transition will occur and take place on Wednesday, 24 January 2007, at which time President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo will turn over the presidency to Vice President Noli de Castro.

“2. In return, President Arroyo and her families are guaranteed security and safety of their person and property throughout their natural lifetimes. Likewise, President Arroyo and his families are guaranteed freedom from persecution or retaliation from government and the private sector throughout their natural lifetimes.

“This commitment shall be guaranteed by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (`AFP’) through the Chief of Staff, as approved by the national military and police authorities--Vice President.

“3. Both parties shall endeavor to ensure that the Senate sitting as an impeachment court will authorize the opening of the second envelope in the impeachment trial as proof that the subject savings account does not belong to President Arroyo.

“4. During the five-day transition period between 20 January 2007 and 24 January 2007 (the “Transition Period’’), the incoming Cabinet members shall receive an appropriate briefing from the outgoing Cabinet officials as part of the orientation program.

“During the Transition Period, the AFP and the Philippine National Police (`PNP’) shall function under Vice President as national military and police authorities.

“Both parties hereto agree that the AFP chief of staff and PNP director general shall obtain all the necessary signatures as affixed to this agreement and insure faithful implementation and observance thereof.

“Vice President Noli de Castro shall issue a public statement in the form and tenor provided for in `Annex A’ heretofore attached to this agreement.’’

Without our knowledge

Maria Lourdes Sereno stresses that the envelope can only be opened by the Senate President, and not the Senate sitting as an impeachment court “since there is no going back to the trial.’’

The emissaries also insist that the resignation letter should be signed today, Jan. 20.

Sereno says that a separate resignation letter is the deal-breaker, the absolute minimum, or the whole deal collapses.

Macel mentions that the turnover should be sufficient since by the acts of the President, one can see that there is an intention to relinquish his position.

Sereno answers: “You are a bar topnotcher. You should know that a resignation has to be an unequivocal act and should be in a letter.’’

The second round of negotiations ends around 9:30 a.m.

But without our knowledge, the President has apparently signed the Remulla letter, which is transmitted to Speaker Nograles at 8:30 a.m. today, Jan. 20.

A copy is transmitted to Enrile and received Monday, Jan. 22. We are not informed of this until Sunday afternoon, when I receive a faxed, signed and transmitted copy of the letter.

(To be concluded tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment